Tuesday, August 18, 2015

The USB Roundtable: Tim Tebow, Team USA Basketball, and Punching NFL Players

In this edition of The Ultimate Sports Blog Roundtable, Dustin James, Steve Cook and myself discuss Tim Tebow's chances of making the Philadelphia Eagles, our Team USA Basketball starting five, and which NFL player we'd like to punch.



True or False: Tim Tebow will make the Eagles opening week roster.

Steve CookFalse. I know that Timmy is everybody's favorite story, ESPN loves him & somehow the fate of a third string QB is considered relevant. But let's be real here...third string QB is not even a position that exists on most NFL teams. They usually have a dude on the practice squad if things get real hairy. Tebow's not going to pass Sam Bradford or Matt Barkley on the depth chart. He might pass Sanchez. But he's not going any higher than 3rd string, and using that spot on a non-rookie not on the practice squad is iffy at best. It's not gonna happen.


Dustin JamesFalse. Can we stop it yet? Can we? CAN WE????? This Tim Tebow stuff has got to stop. The reason it really bugs me this time is because my main man, the Chipper (Chip Kelly), had to go out and bring Tim Tebow back into the NFL news fold and now people can't stop talking about a guy who's not even good enough to be a third string QB in the NFL. I don't know if this is breaking news to people, but Tim Tebow can't throw a football worth a damn. It's been proven time and time again. One of the greatest NFL head coaches of all-time (Bill Belichick) couldn't fix Tebow's broken QB mechanics and as much as I love Chip, he's not going to do it either. Tebow's just a fun training camp story that is a long shot to make the roster and if he does it's only for reasons that involve QB running packages in the red zone. The Eagles already have 3 QB's on the depth chart ahead of Tebow (Sam Bradford, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Barkley) and I can't see them getting rid of any of those guy's or keeping a 4th QB on the 52-man roster. Chip Kelly does some crazy shit, but keeping Tim Tebow on his game day NFL roster would take the cake.  


Jeremy Lambert: True. That's right, TRUE. The Eagles will trade Mark Sanchez, probably to the Jets or the Bills, and Quarterback Jesus will be on the opening week roster. Chip Kelly is an offensive-minded coach, and even though I doubt Tebow will play a snap, having him on the roster means that the opposing team has to prepare for him. If Chip can force the opposition to spend even five minutes preparing for zone reads and quarterback draws, that's five minutes they lose preparing for Chip's actual gameplan of Sam Bradford getting injured. 






Name your starting five for Team USA Basketball in 2016.

SCI didn't watch any of the scrimmage stuff over the weekend. I don't care about preseason football, but I'll watch it over USA basketball scrimmages because it's not basketball season. It's cute how they're trying to be year-round news like the NFL is, but I'm not buying it. Sorry. Off the top of my head I'll go LeBron, Durant, Curry, Davis and Harden. Probably some position overlap there but oh,well.

DJMy starting five would be DeMarcus Cousins at Center. Anthony Davis at Power Forward. LeBron James at Small Forward. Kevin Durant at Shooting Guard (Why? Because I can). And Russell Westbrook at Point Guard. Good luck beating that team. Even if you won't let me keep Durant in at SG, I'll just substitute him with James Harden and tell Davis to shadow him on defense. That team would have the potential to be the greatest of all-time, with all apologies to the "Dream Team"......

JL: International play means small ball, so I'm going with Steph Curry as my point guard, Russell Westbrook as my shooting guard, Kevin Durant at small forward, LeBron James at power forward, and Anthony Davis in the middle. All of them bring something different to the table and they can all score in bunches. I could see Chris Paul or James Harden starting over Westbrook, but the other four seem pretty locked in to me. 




Which NFL player would you like to punch in the jaw if he owed your $600? 

SCThe answer has to be Johnny Manziel, right? He's a cocky son of a gun that hasn't accomplished anything in the league, keeps saying he's learning but isn't, and he plays for the Browns. He's gotta be top 5 easiest to hate in the history of the league. And if you punch him it's not like he'll kick your ass. He might get somebody else to do it, which just solidifies my answer.

DJIs it OK if I say John Elway? I still would love to punch that guy in the face for some reason (maybe his douchey smile?). Maybe it's because I'm a Kansas City Chiefs fan and the Broncos are our more successful rivals and Elway is a big part of that reason? Ya, that's probably it. Anyway, if it has to be a current player, I guess I would have to say Peyton Manning. I think I've made it pretty clear that I don't like the Denver Broncos. The thing about Peyton is, I didn't like him even before he was the Broncos QB because the son of a bitch was so good on the Colts that he constantly beat the Chiefs, even in the post-season. I got a glimmer of hope when Peyton became a free agent a few years back and there was rumors that the Chiefs were the first team to offer him a contract. I thought, "Hey perfect! We're finally getting a good QB!". Then it happened. John Elway and the Broncos swooped in and stole Peyton before the Chiefs ever really even had a chance. Ahhh, screw it. My final answer is John Elway. I don't care about the rules.  

JL: Ray Rice. No explanation needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment