Friday, January 15, 2016

An Open Letter to Ron Rivera



Dear Ron Rivera, 

               I’m sorry. Last year, I wanted you fired as the head coach of the Carolina Panthers. The team was 3-8-1. They had just lost after the bye week for the fourth time in four seasons. Your overall coaching record was 28-31-1. Aside from your third year when the team went 12-4, won the division, but lost their only playoff game at home; you seemed like an average coach who couldn’t get the team over the hump. Almost every game was the same. Either the offense failed to put together a game-winning score or the defense failed to prevent one. Whether it was a missed field, a Cam Newton interception, or a blown coverage, as Cam said in a 2012 post-game press conference, “same script.” It was frustrating to watch as a fan and I’m sure you were frustrated as the coach. I didn’t put all the blame on you. Cam hadn’t quite matured into the quarterback that’s on the field now, the defense was filled with young and inexperienced players, the previous regime handed out a lot of bad contracts, guys were injured, etc…. But in sports, the easiest thing to do is fire the head coach. That’s always the first reaction of the fans and usually the first reaction of ownership and the general manager. 

               One year later, I’m happy to admit that I was wrong about you. Last year, the team made the playoffs and won their first playoff game. Sure, a lot of that had to do with a weak division and a Carson Palmer injury, but all you can do is win the games that are put in front of you. Entering this season, my expectations were tempered. I figured that the team was the best in a bad division. When Kelvin Benjamin went down in pre-season, all hope seemed lost. Newton has always relied on one main receiver to bail him out. That receiver got hurt. Now what? 

               The wheels should’ve fallen off in Seattle. That’s a game the team loses in previous years. Not just against that opponent, but in that manner. On the road against the defending NFC Champions, nothing was going right through three quarters. The game was also following a bye week, and, well, did I mention that you were 0-4 after a bye coming into the season? Somehow, the team came back to win. Newton made all the right throws and the defense held. I believe that game spark the incredible regular season that the Panthers ended up putting together. 

               I don’t feel that this would’ve been possible without you as the head coach. I read Roman Harper’s column on MMQB and he praised you for being a player’s coach who keeps an even-keel. It would’ve been easy to put the blame on the players or the refs over the years, but you stuck by the team because they stuck by you. 

               I wouldn’t want anyone else coaching this team right now. Not even Bill Belichick. He might be the greatest coach in the history of the game, but there’s no way Cam would be allowed to be Cam if Belichick were steering the ship. Your willingness to adapt and accept are your greatest strengths as a head coach. I’m glad the organization didn’t fire you. The biggest strength an NFL team can have is consistency. The best teams in the league are the ones that keep quarterbacks and coaches together. Belichick and Brady. Carroll and Wilson. Tomlin and Roethlisberger. Rodgers and McCarthy. Lewis and Dalton. 

               I don’t know if the team will win on Sunday. I’m a sports pessimist and always plan for the worst so I’ve already prepared my “Playoff Disappointment Cocktails” for the weekend. I do know that you’ve done an amazing job with this team and I’m proud that you’re our coach.

Signed, Jeremy Lambert on behalf of every Panthers fan

No comments:

Post a Comment